Today I achieved what I thought would never come. I have finally finished building the jaw, whereby it now looks “balanced”. Due to the soaking process (a necessary evil) some parts of the cartilage detached, also due to the fact the jaw was nearly 40 years old.
I finished building both sides of the jaw, and also built up the right side of the base, so the jaw would not topple over anymore.
The rest of the work will mostly be filling in small cracks, holes, levelling off uneven areas, and then finally painting.
Although I use a number of power tools and sanders, nothing replaces hand sanding, as you can really feel the various undulations of the cartilage and of the repairs. Although it takes longer, hand sanding is perfect for the details. The electrical sander is ideal when you need to sand down very large areas.