I worked on “Julia” today after a long stint due to work commitments and other jaws. I continued sanding areas of the jaw to smooth out imperfections. Unfortunately, the area at the top of the jaw, had developed a small crack. Upon examining the crack, I noticed that I had not put enough putty in the area that I repaired. Therefore, I sanded back the area with the crack and exposed the crack.
I re-filled the hole with putty which I coloured to approximately match the surrounding cartilage.
I then proceeded to fill in the areas in the lower jaw. The cartilage at the base of the teeth, had over the years, cracked and flaked, revealing the underlying gelatinous layer, which due to the jaw’s age is now brown.
I then mixed up a batch of putty which I coloured, and then applied with a paintbrush to give it a rough look, matching what the original tooth base looks like. This is just the first layer. I will be applying a couple more layers to ensure it is all covered, and colour matched correctly.
I then turned to the back of the jaw. Where the joints are, on the original jaw, the two high points were missing, as they had been sliced off.
I had originally repaired them using a very strong epoxy putty, but unfortunately it was blue in colour. I therefore had to use another putty which was closer in colour to the cartilage.