I can’t believe that after all these months, I have finally finished working on Julia, the Great White shark jaw that was brought to me to restore, clean and repair.
Caught back in 1977, the jaw upon closer inspection, had some work done on it. I discovered some putty had been used to repair some of the edges on the upper jaw. It also looked like some teeth had been moved around, and the jaw came to me with the fifth upper right tooth in an envelope.
When the jaw was soaked to make it more pliable so I could set it properly, the cartilage pretty much crumbled in a number of places. It cracked mostly on the upper jaw. Unfortunately the jaw had to be left soaking for around 8 days, which caused a bit of damage. In addition, the jaw had been coated with a yellow-orange lacquer, which failed to come off in the water. I had to use a very watery paint stripper to remove the lacquer.
The jaw was placed on the drying board to dry in a tent, with 2 fans blowing on it for around 4 days.
The jaw once removed from the board, was examined for damage.
Repairs were then carried out on the jaw.
For the jaw to finally, after around 130 days, look like this.