Back in September 2018, a client contacted me from Austria, asking me if I could help him fix a Mako shark jaw he had.
Normally I would not really freely give out my methodology or secrets, however in this case I decided to help him with getting his Mako jaw back together in one piece.
The shark was caught on 12 October 1997, and was given it to a local taxidermist to prepare. Unfortunately he proceeded to boil the lower jaw and all the teeth fell out. He then proceeded to put them back in with epoxy putty….backwards.
After many attempts, the jaw is sent to me for proper restoration by the client. The package arrived in a perfect state on 10 October 2018, and I started working on it straight away.
The teeth had been placed incorrectly and glued in with an epoxy putty. Many were missing and some were broken.
Another Mako jaw of the same size was chosen and the lower teeth were removed to be used with the original teeth on the damaged Mako jaw.
The lower jaw was repaired and strengthened. Parts of it were re-built and shaped using other Mako jaws as templates.
The teeth from the other jaw were lined up and then affixed inside the jaw, followed by the original teeth salvaged from the damaged jaw.
The jaw has been whitened, repaired, dried and checked for balance and straightness. It is now going to be mounted on a Perspex board with a plaque showing capture data.